Thursday, May 01, 2008

Lisp to Open Windows Explorer to Any Location

This is an addition to a time saver I posted awhile back to open Explorer from within AutoCAD to the folder where the drawing is saved.

This lisp can be altered direct users to a system resource folder where ever it may be. This one is going to a mapped drive where vendor equipment blocks may be located. The back slash means something in lisp. You will have to fool lisp by using a double backslash in the path you are directing users to.

(defun c:Explore_Vendor_Equipment ()
(startapp "explorer" (strcat "/n,/e," "S:\\CIN-Custom\\Standards\\Vendor_Equipment"))
(princ)
)


Now make it easy for everyone by firing the lisp from a palette or toolbar.

I wrote this today for my friends at HDR. So here a big Hello to Jeremy Holland, the dude that asked for it, and Dave Benscotter, Greg Moon and Derek Hayes. I'm sure I misspelled your names so sorry about that.

8 comments:

Jose Guia said...

Cool tip, .. imagine the possibilities, I have done this with the Autodesk Design Center for some time now but this can compliment it!

Thanks,
I kicked your article (a good thing), for more exposure at CadKicks.com
http://lazydrafter.blogspot.com/2008/05/lisp-to-open-windows-explorer-to-any.html

Anonymous said...

i tried load the file its not working

Todd M. Shackelford said...

Make sure your path information is correct. If you want, post back what you have and I'll take a look at it.

Todd

Anonymous said...

I've been using this one for a long time. It starts up explorer in the current drawing folder
(defun c:explore ()
(startapp "explorer" (strcat "/n,/e," (getvar "dwgprefix")))
(princ)
)

Peter

Andy said...

Is there any way to make this work with and unmapped network drive?

I am interested in specifying a location through a universal path instead of a drive letter.

\\servername\location\CADD

vs.

Z:CADD

I work for a fairly decentralized company where the majority of users don't have the same drives mapped.

Thanks,

Andy

Todd M Shackelford said...

Andy,

Have you tried just placing the file location in quotes?

It should work.

Todd

Andy said...

Todd,

Thanks for the response, here is what I have. I can't get it to route to my "detail" folder. It opens explore to my documents.

(defun c:Explore_detail()
(startapp "explorer" (strcat "/n,/e," "\\server\\share\\library\\detail"))
(princ)
)

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Anonymous said...

Try double \\ for each \