Tuesday, May 19, 2009

AutoCAD 2010 - The Fun Begins

I have evaluated the 2010 version of AutoCAD and implemented it and right away. Which might just be the fun part for CAD Managers everywhere. If you are getting ready to push a new version out, here is  my check list.
  • Get a new Licence file from Autodesk.

  • Authorize your new software. It should prompt you after the install.

  • You'll probably need new print or plot drivers. I have KIP plotters and found the drivers I needed here by scrolling down to where it says KIP AutoCAD on the link above.

  • If you skipped 2009 (As I did), the ribbon needs to be seriously reviewed. Any custom content you have should also find a home in the ribbon. I'm looking at it as a chance to put everything into a work flow and organize it as it should have been all along. I image this is what Autodesk was think when they implemented the ribbon.

  • Updated workspaces, profiles and deployments for all. 

  • Centralization of new CUIs. I am a control freak, and like to keep these files on a read only drive.

  • Check all the resources. There is the new features workshop, Cool things cards in with your disc and you can have manuals mailed to your office for awesome late night reading. Click here for the online version.

  • Lots of testing. I usually set everything up to work out the big bugs, and then release the new version to a select group to catch the things I didn't think of before pushing it out to everyone.

  • Training for users. This also means selling the dream., and making them want it. Chances are there are a few folks that won't want to do it. Be sure to demonstrate the cool feature that will make their life better. I like constraints and PDF enhancements.

  • Document any additions to your standards and revise anything that needs to be changed.
Good luck to all.

No comments: