Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Recession Proof Your Job

I know people who have recently been laid off. Good people. I bet all of you know people who have got the bad news. Perhaps some of you have lost your jobs. It Sucks. I have been one of those people myself. Losing my job changed my life... for the better. I'm different now. I made some changes that I wrote about in my very first post. Ten Common Sense Secrets for the Lazy Drafter.

I really believe what is written there. If your boss can't do business without, your job should be as safe as his. The hard part is sustaining your efforts. Everyone is working extra hard right now and not complaining about a thing. You need to keep this up over time. It's like a diet. The weight will come right back when you start eating again.

How do you protect yourself from an economy that is taking out talented people everyday? You take your lives to the next level. You will be recognized when you do and rewarded.

1 comment:

Kung Fu Drafter said...

That is definitely a good list of some not so common sense. As a CAD manager and trainer I am the first one to say that 75% of what I do in a week doesn't fall anywhere under those two headings.

I do everything from CAD work to ordering new furniture to fixing our measuring wheel. On the one hand I do it b/c I am a team memeber. On the other hand I do it b/c it makes me more valuable.

My CAD staff calls me the drafting wubbi (Mr. Mom reference). Whatever I you want to call it, I call it employed.

- KFD -