Thursday, September 19, 2013

Why I like File Tabs

If you have upgraded to AutoCAD 2014, there is no missing the file tabs across the top of your drawing window. I will be honest, I didn't really see a reason for file tabs, but much like beer, what might have tasted bad at first, can become a part of your life that you just can't seem to live without after you get used to it.

Here is why the File tabs are cool.

No More Around the Horn
No more Ctrl+Tab to get to the open drawing I want. Just click on the drawing you want to look at and go.

Save All
Right click on a file tab and select Save All. It saves all you open drawings with one click.

Order up! 
Just drag the file tabs to what ever location you prefer them.

Closing Time!
Right click on a tab to get 3 options for closing drawings. You have to like Close All and Close all except This Tab.
Location and Path
I wrote a command a long time ago to open Windows explorer to the current drawings location. Now I can ditch that in favor of right clicking on the tab for it. I can also copy the file path to paste into emails and whatever.


If you still don't like the file tabs, type "FileTabClose" on the command line and they will disappear. If you have guilt about making them go away, just type "FileTab" to bring them back.

No comments: